Well it started with a drunken bid on eBay one Saturday afternoon….
After borrowing a van from a mate and a quick trip to the Wootton Bassett, the scooter was home. Bike was in good nick and a runner just needed a freshen up thought it would be a good winter project.
Made a bet with my wife that i could turn a profit on the bike so had to prove her wrong naturally.
If your not aware of these 50cc bikes they top out around 38 mph do around 100mpg but have a massive aftermarket seen driven by the Jap and US market, so it was never going to stay standard.
Work started by striping the frame down, which took about an hour, these things are a lot less complex then stripping a car.
I had an idea of the colour scheme plan was to keep it standard to maximize my chance of turning a profit. Friend of mine is a professional trimmer, he kindly offered to take a look at the seat for me and reshape and cover it for me.
Started on the wheels first just rubbing back the original paint ready for re-coating in black.
Removed the mounts on the OEM exhaust for the plastic cover to clean up the look, and applied some Black exhaust wrinkle paint. To help de-clutter the handle bars plan was to move the speedo to battery box.
Next up was the seat frame. I wanted the lower the seating position, you can buy these pre-made for a around £60-120 but i thought i would have a go myself.
First cleaned up the seat frame removing any latches, cut off the original fixing mounts on both sides, figured i would try and press the tube flat for an OEM finish. To do this i used some scarp steel i had to make up the press mold, put the ends in a vise and heated the tube up with a blow touch. I wasn’t worried about the paint finish as this was going to be addressed later on in the project.
Trimmed the rear supports off and cut them back and welded them back up. The wood blocks were used to make sure the frame wasn’t positioned incorrectly.
eBay strikes again and i end up with a hub and an 8″ wide rear wheel, this has thrown a little spanner in the works as the exhaust will never fit round this it barely fits but i love the stretched look and ridiculousness of a 50cc bike having a wheel wide than my track car (Toyonda).
I knew the original bars weren’t going back on, again you can buy conversation kits from the US to allow you to run a 22mm handle bar, but heh i’m sure i can make my own.
Bought a small shim to bring the stem size up so the BMX hub would be able to grip it. Not happy that this would be safe enough encase i ever intend on popping a wheelie, i taped a bit of steel for the stem cover to screw into. In addition to this to pack out the shim i made up a little wood-druff key (kind of thing you find on a crank pulley on an engine).
While the frame was off being media blasted and powder coated in its new colour, i managed to source an aftermarket exhaust i though i would adapt to fit around the new wheel.
This involved extending the exhaust pipe it self and making some new brackets, i wasn’t sure how it would fair until the bike was running but i sat fairly well on the engine without sitting to low.
Frame was back in its new Ral 7037 matt grey, so started putting it back together.
Due to the delights of running such an aggressive rear wheel the standard kick stand wouldn’t go round the wheel, so a motor bike kickstand was in order.
To bring a little colour to the final look i went with bright orange. Having never tried wrapping any thing i thought will give this a go. With the help of another friend who loves playing with a hairdryer we spent 3 hour stretching it around the battery box and petrol tank
The seat was back and wow, made from Bentley grade black leather with Yellow stitching and reformed ribbed seat looks amazing. Seeing as the massive wheel wasn’t going to get on with the mud guard i looked for alternative method of reducing the mess. The other images are the ECU with some spacers made up so the Speedo will fit. Oh, and you guessed it the wheel doesn’t like the original coolant over flow so i made this up.
So here we are back together and running, although due to the small issue of the rear wheel offset you really have to lean to get it to turn right…..small issue right! form over function. To freshen up some of the Plastic covers i used some Plasti dip spray paint quite could stuff and its not permanent but fairly hard wearing.
Summer came and i really enjoyed smashing it around town picking up beers during the rush hour or just going for a ride in the sun.
Sadly the vinyl wrap started to bubble on the battery box and peel letting down the bike so that had to come off. Prepped it for paint and went with another orange.
Before doing this i did play with a Plasti coat orange but this just didn’t look great so that came off.
So as you can see in the last image the bike is running a sprayed battery box running on the standard rear wheel and exhaust.
At the point of writing this we’re heading into another winter and i still have the Zoomer so….. whats next well i really don’t want to part with it so the plan is to buy a mount so the fatty wheel can go on the bike and function properly. No doubt a few other things as well to be continued.